by Harley F. Palangchao
Filipino MMA prospect Rizalino Olivar’s bid to sign a professional mixed martial arts contract was realized, as he is set to fight an undefeated Brazilian fighter in Brave Combat Federation in Brazil on March 18.
The 20-year-old Benguet native will face Rogerio Bontorin in one of the undercards of the Bahrain-based Brave FC more than two weeks after his impressive wins in the main event of Team Lakay Championship 12 in Baguio.
Team Lakay chair Mark Sangiao said Olivar is prepared for the bout, as his ward has not suffered any injury in his latest fight against Norman Agcopra from Mindanao.
Olivar holds an unblemished amateur and semi-professional record of eight wins, mostly by way of submissions or technical knockouts.
His much older 24-year-old Brazilian opponent has a professional MMA record of 10 wins and one no contest.
This will be a tough test for Olivar as Bontorin, who has world-class Brazilian jiu jitsu skills has finished more than 95 percent of the fights via submission either by rear naked choke or by arm bar.
The only decision win Bontorin recorded in his MMA career was against Jonathan Inacio in August 2013.
Since turning pro MMA fighter in April 2013, the Brazilian fighter never tasted defeat in the last three years until the no contest result against Takeshi Kusagai in December 2016.
Brave FC has signed multiple-fight contracts with some of the finest MMA fighters around the world.
The promotion was launched in Dubai last year. It saw several Team Lakay fighters led by Stephen Loman and Jomar Pa-ac winning impressively against their respective opponents in Brave CF1 and CF2.
Earlier, Brave Combat Federation President, Mohammed Shahid, confirmed that the promotion company is planning to stage stacked cards outside Bahrain.
“Some of the finest athletes from all continents had gathered in Bahrain for this MMA extravaganza. It’s now time for the world to get a taste of what the Middle East-based global promotion is all about,” Brave promotion said in its website.